Dental experts use the phrase “restorative dentistry” to describe how they repair lost or damaged teeth. The idea is to restore your natural smile while also preventing future dental problems. At Durham Dental Center here in Plainfield, New Jersey, we offer our patients several different restorative dental procedures that won’t only restore the appearance of your teeth but your health. Restorative dental treatments are significantly crucial because:
- Keeping teeth straight is easier when empty spaces in the mouth are filled.
- Replacing teeth makes it easier to keep up with proper oral hygiene routines and avoid plaque build-up and the difficulties it might cause.
- Missing teeth can affect your self-esteem and oral health.
- Restoring issues as soon as possible allows you to keep your natural teeth and help prevent problems from worsening.
You can keep your teeth’ natural structure with the help of restorative dentistry. Your teeth’ restoration is exceptionally long-lasting, and if properly cared for, it can survive for many years. Here is a list of restorative treatments we offer at Durham Dental Center:
- Fillings: After removing the decay infecting a tooth in full, we will replace the missing enamel with composite resin material. This dental material is chosen to match the shade of your original tooth so the restoration can blend in.
- Dental Crowns: Above the gum line, a dental crown, also known as a cap, covers and restores the shape, size, strength, and appearance of a decayed or broken tooth. Crowns are used to keep a weak tooth from breaking, hold a damaged tooth together, and hide misshapen or discolored teeth. Dental crowns are fabricated to match your natural teeth in every way, including shade/color. Most crowns are made out of porcelain that is a solid and beautiful dental material.
- Dental Bridge: A type of tooth replacement is a dental bridge, which consists of at least two dental crowns and a complete prosthetic tooth or teeth that operate together to replace teeth. When you have one or more missing teeth in a row, it can impede your ability to speak and chew. Bridges can assist in the restoration of each of them at the same time.
- Dental Implants: The most common and permanent type of tooth replacement is through a dental implant. Implants are titanium screws that are placed into the jaw bone underneath the gums through oral surgery. Implants are made to act as the new tooth root for the restoration, providing a stable foundation. Different restorations such as crowns, bridges, and dentures can utilize dental implants to make them permanent.
- Dental Bonding: Our teeth can become cracked or chipped on occasion due to blunt trauma. For small areas where tooth anatomy needs to be restored, tooth-colored resin is used. We call this bonding because we bond the material to your natural tooth to replace the missing piece. We then will shape down the resin to have it blend in with your natural tooth.
At Durham Dental Center, we are highly trained and practiced in performing all types of restorative dental procedures. Restoring your smile won’t only bring you happiness and a beautiful appearance but also peace of mind knowing your smile is healthy. When dental issues occur and they aren’t restored quickly, problems can progress and possibly cause permanent damage.
If you are in Plainfield, New Jersey, or any surrounding area and have noticed that you would benefit from a restorative procedure, give our office a call. We are more than happy to describe each process in detail and work with you to determine which one is best for you and your smile.